Sunday, April 20, 2008

Poetry Portfolio II

Another Selection of Poems
Written: 2007
-------

FLOWERS

A happier day is was, long ago
My eyes first fell upon your face
Broken dreams began to heal
Ruined futures built again
On every day I longed to
See you, even just once
I felt that there was hope
And I was not alone

A spark of hope can do so much
Lead you through all woe
Mend any ills you come upon
Or banish every fear
Nothing evil can reach you
Do any harm unto your soul

Don't say it has a chance when it doesn't
Ask not for me to hope
For hope is a beautiful thing
For hope is a painful thing
Only hope can hurt where other weapons cannot reach
Duty holds me to my oaths and I shall always be alone
I never truly said it, and now I must forget I
Loved you

Here I stand, all by myself
Ever and ever, always alone
A hope turned false, a dream
Turned into nothing but a dream
Heaven is out of my reach

Yesterday I thought the world was clean
Eternity looms before me, scarred and torn
Where shall I find peace now?

------------------------------------

THE HUNT

Kak-kak-kak-kak
The shadow beneath my feet looms larger
As the kingsbird soars down from the cliff above.
As the motled gray shoots past my face, I see its eye
The eyes of a hunter
The eyes of a killer
A colony of murres scatters, croaking, as the missil strikes
Kak-kak-kak-kak
Blood sprays into the frozen air
And the gyrfalcon wings its way homeward
Clutching its prize
It's victory echoes across the tundra
Kak-kak-kak-kak

----------------------------------------

THE ROVER

A rover wandering lost his way
Amongst the trees.
As morning waxed he found a path
That lead a way outside
But as he tried to follow,
A voice, serene, spoke out:
"Traveller, go not down this path
For surely thy soul shal die."
Mindful the rover turned back to the trees
But a voice, quite strong, spoke out:
"Traveller, turn not from this path
For surely thy mind shalt perish."
The rover looked toward the path
The rover looked toward the trees
And disappeared into the forest.

No comments: